Goals of Peoria Reads!
• Bring our diverse community together in ways to promote better understanding.
• Broaden and deepen readers' appreciation for books dealing with significant issues.
• Bring more people into libraries, bookstores, and literacy institutions
• Increase opportunities for discussion between youth and adults
• Achieve a better understanding of ourselves and of our own humanity.
Peoria Reads! Selections:
2002: A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines.
2003: The Reappearance of Sam Webber by Jonathon Scott Fuqua
2004: Speed of Light by Elizabeth Rosner
2005: Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde
2006: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich
2007: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2008: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
2009: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
2010: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
2011: The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore
2012: Special Project: Don’t Shoot by David M. Kennedy
2013: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
2014: Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Pattillo
2015: Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario
2016: The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien